While I was in Istanbul, after watching the movie crossing the bridge by Fathi Akin, I was motivated to start my own collection of sounds in Istanbul. When I think of this city of worlds desire, it’s always in relation to different kinds of musical styles——a lot of street artists, folklore, electronic, drubing, trompetings … a smorgasbord of sounds and emotions which I promise can make you happy.
This is what I caught:
- the drummers for ramadan
- several street artists playing on the Istiklalstreet and Tünnel
- the Posta (turkish daily newspaper) musicband playing in the nostalgic tram next to Asmali Mescit
- some turkish spontaneous organized band at Galata tower
- a band playing at Haymatlos Bar a song from Amy Winehouse
- Cümbüs Cemaat singing at araf, which is a really nice club in nevizade with view over the golden horn
Then I went to the RockNCoke Festival , which is organized every year at Herzafen airport and saw:
- Athena, one of my favorit turkish ska bands
- Skunk Anansie, she was totally crazy and a real rock star
- The motherfucking Gaslamp Killer, who was playing longer then the RockNCoke crew wanted (but he was amazing) and
- Moby who was a great main act.
Hope you enjoy watching my collection. I’ll try to catch some more next month when I head over again to the city which can make you happy.
The wlr-team thought about editing this new category called: We love culture, to post about several festivals and music events. We hope you like it.
Recommend and repeat if you want. ¥